Nov
08

100 Digital Storytelling Tools for Your Digital Selves + Natives (Part 1)

Filed Under (Uncategorized) by on November 8, 2009 and tagged , ,

88c29cd8856741f1aa852e4f9568c4fe.0[1]“We are our stories, we compress years of experience, thought and emotion into a few compact narratives that we convey to others and tell to ourselves”  Daniel Pink, a Whole New Wind

Digital storytelling, in short, using technologies to tell stories.  It’s a great way to develop visual and media literacy, promote reflection, engage students in their own learning, improve speaking and writing skills, to collaborate, reflect and evaluate.

Here are the first 25 digital storytelling tools that you can use in your classes or just to tell your digital story. I’m sure you are already familiar with some of them and I hope you can find new tools to use.

With Slide, you can create your slide shows with different skins, animations and transitions. You can also create guestbooks for your sites. It allows embedding.

SlideShare lets you upload your powerpoint presentations and share it with others. You can add podcast to your ppts as well. You can embed it. It’s also a great site for improving yourself. There are good ppts ready for you to learn and get inspired.

Imageloop is another site that lets you create slide shows with different animations, skins, transitions. You can add music, create a guestbook and embed it.

I’ve just written about ZimmerTwins on my previous post. It’s the best way to create your digital cartoon and tell a story with it. I’m sure you and your students can create wonderful cartoons.

Pimpampum is another site I’m a fan with its applications. The first one is Bookr, you create online books using Flickr pictures. you can decide on the number of the pages and embed it or send the link to others. The second one is Phrasr, you write anything you want and it finds images that match with each of your word. You can send the links to others. Great way to wish a birthday!! The last one is Bubblr, create your comic strip with Flickr pictures and add bubbles to tell your story!

Create your beautiful slide shows and share them with the world with 280slides.

Animoto lets you create your videos less than a minute. You just add your photos, choose music and add your text. Animoto does the rest.

Animasher allows you to make animations and to animate the pictures.

Voki is a site where you can create your speaking avatar. You can record your voice, or you can use text to speech.

Voicethread is the most famous digital storytelling tool. You add pictures or your videos and let others comment on it.

BubbleJoy allows you to place yourself inside an interactive video greeting card that you can send to others.

I’ve mentioned about BombayTV on my previous blog. It’s a tool for writing subtitles for Bollywood films. You can also record your voice or use text to speech application. There is also BombayTV2 where you can edit different scenes from Bollywood films together and add subtitles to them. ClassikTV allows to put them different scenes together and add music+effects to it. Also, you can have a look at FuteBolTV where you can add subtitles to football matches, you can record your voice as well.

With Animata, you can create animations and backgrounds.

You can easily create a slide show from images anywhere on the web with BigHugeLabs.

BigUniverse is an engaging website. You can read book online or you can create your own and publish it.

BubbleSnaps lets you add bubbles to your pictures and create slide show.

Capzles is a way to combine your videos,photos, blogs and mp3s into a multimedia storyline.

ComicBrush lets you mix artwork and create comics  from a fun collection of comic backgrounds, characters and photos of yours .

Writeboard is a shareable web based text that shows you every edit and let you go back anytime. It’s a great tool for collaborative storytelling.

With DandeLife, you can keep record of the events of your past and present. You can add videos and pictures. It’s a great timeline and a online journal!

Enjoy!!

36 Responses to “100 Digital Storytelling Tools for Your Digital Selves + Natives (Part 1)”

1.   Barbara Sakamoto Says:

These look like so much fun! I love animoto (which I also learned about from you) and look forward to trying some of these out with my students :)

2.   Alexandra Francisco Says:

Hi Ozge,

Excellent list! Although I do try to keep in mind that “A story should be remembered for its soul, not the bells and whistles.” (Bernajean Porter),am really looking forward to trying the ones I don’t know with my students. :)
    Sometimes it’s easy to get lost in the digital world, so, if I may, I’d like to share three wikis, created by great educators, that helped me find some sort of bearings while navigating the digital storytelling world: Digital Stories , The Connected Classroom , Patrick Woessner’s Presentations
    Thank you, for caring enough to take the time to share. :)

3.   danilyra Says:

Hi there,

i’ve been reading your blog lately. I love your entuthiasm and ideas. I’ve been learning about how to use web2.0 in class and your list enriched my work. Thank you soooo much. It’s wonderful that we are so far apart and we have so much in common. Please check my work you’ve helped me create. Thanks!
    http://www.vuvox.com/collage/detail/01874e36ce

4.   Kevin Hodgson Says:

Great set of tools and ideas.
    I wonder, though, about our definition of digital storytelling. I often think we need a new term, since that one (which I use, too) is associated more with the Center for Digital Storytelling — which is pretty firm in its definition of image, with voiceover, as video. These tools move beyond that, don’t you think?
    Just a thought
    Kevin

5.   ozge Says:

Barbara,
    When you try the tools, please send the links,I’ll make a blog post out of it =)

6.   ozge Says:

Dear Alexandra,
    Thank for sharing the wikis, I didn’t know about the third one. I’m so happy that we can learn from each other everyday. Thanks for your comment and dropping by my blog =)

7.   ozge Says:

Dear Kevin,
    Yes, you’re completely right about the definition. We should name it differently, any suggestions?

8.   ozge Says:

Dear Dani,
    I loved your presentation and will tweet it!

9.   ozge Says:

BTW, I’ve checked all of your blogs and they are all amazing. I’ve a lot to learn from you!!

10.   bYLara Says:

I’m surprised because of your superior ideas close to this good topic. You performed this as the freelance writing jobs , moreover, you deserved really prestige price for that, I thougt!

11.   mark Says:

thanks dear

12.   dissertation vox blog Says:

Great Blog I am Certified to your blog Because I have Searched and visited blog contents are Unique. if your blog were not post unique so I would not post my comment.

13.   dissertation multiply blog Says:

Great blog! The information you provide is quiet helpful, why I was not able to find it earlier. Anyways I’ve subscribed to your feeds, keep the good work up.

14.   Air Jordan shoes Says:

Your articles are well written, I am very interested in your story!

15.   Coach Handbags sale Says:

The pictures in your page in your picture are beautiful,but why the article have no picture,i think picture can help describe the theme of a article.

16.   masini Says:

It is a well documented article, while useful and interesting, from my point of view.

17.   Nike Basketball Shoes Online Says:

Just one question: how to add your blog into my rrs reader, thanks so much.

18.   Weight Loss Resources Says:

I think it is good service! thanks

19.   Cheap Jordans Says:

I have read your article, I think this is very good! Simple language, concise blog! Another kind of style! I like!

20.   thesis writing Says:

this kind of blog always useful for blog readers, it helps people during research. your post is one of the same for blog readers.

21.   New Jordans Says:

This blog makes me realize the energy of words and pictures.It’s very beneficial for me and it’s filled with information.keep smiling and take care!

22.   New Jordans Says:

Take my breath away.I’ve loved everything in your blog, thanks for always sharing such wonderful post. Have a good week!

23.   Cheap Jordans Says:

The outlay in your blog is clear for reading, I learn a lot, thank you! Wish you make a further progress in the future, I will always look through your website.

24.   Air Jordan shoes Says:

Very Useful information , this is both good reading for, have quite a few good key points, and I learn some new stuff from it too, thanks for sharing your information. What a great blog, and can we purchase some ads from you? If you agree, just email me the ad type and fee per month or per year. If you own some other great related blogs or websites, you can email me too. Thanks so much. Have a nice day!
    By Air Jordan shoes

25.   Obiad Dnia Says:

thanx a lot! nice work

26.   student loan Says:

Love your presentation work, most the animoto part. i will share it with my group

27.   Jeremiah M. Says:

Fantastic post! I hope you don’t mind if I pillage these links (and credit/link to you, of course) to update my post.

Is there some kind of wiki for this? If not, our powers combined…

28.   Heiko Says:

Tesekür ederim.

I am very impressed. Thank you.

29.   Student finance blog Says:

Thanks for this well written post. It really helped me a lot.

30.   Jennifer Says:

Animoto is SUCH a great,
    valuable and fun tool to use!

31.   Sofia Says:

I previously used Slide because I want to design my profile in social networking site. Maybe I should try animoto or animasher. It is because it looked very easy and fun to use.

32.   Amy Windsor Says:

I can’t wait to try and create a digital story with my daughter. What a wonderful way to spend time together. Thanks for all of the information.

33.   Richard Says:

your list is very good, i learnt about some new tech story telling devices like BubbleSnaps and DandeLife i think the most popular is the slideshare.

34.   Harold Says:

It really is amazing how things have evolved. Storytelling before can either use a book, or some simple puppets. Now we have all the materials to make things interesting.

35.   happy Says:

Magnificent job! The comprehensive data provided was very useful. I am hoping you keep on the excellent work succesfully done.
    Locksmith Atlanta GA
    Locksmith Atlanta GA

36.   Accommodation port douglas Says:

Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thank you

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention 100 Digital Storytelling Tools for Your Digital Selves + Natives (Part 1) | Ozge Karaoglu's Blog -- Topsy.com
  2. E-Learning » Blog Archive » You Don’t Have to Be Hardcore Into Digital Storytelling to Use These Tools
  3. Updated Story Resources
  4. More Tools for Digital Storytellers | Ozge Karaoglu's Blog
  5. It’s Worth Taking a Look at This Blog! | Teacher Reboot Camp
  6. Tools for All Your Digital Storytelling Needs | Jeremiah Mattocks
  7. Self Publishing Tools for Transmedia Storytelling « Savvy Productions
  8. Grazie! A Media Specialist’s Guide to the Internet: 58 Sites for Digital Storytelling Tools and Information « Transmedia Camp 101
  9. Sites for Digital Storytelling Tools and Information | bluesyemre
  10. Ozge Karaoglu's Blog - 100 Digital Storytelling...