Aug
03

Creating Your Digital Self – What’s your story behind it ? (Part 1)

Filed Under (Uncategorized) by on August 3, 2009 and tagged , ,

view_3A portfolio tells a story .. It’s the story of knowing.. Knowing about things, knowing oneself, knowing an audience… Portfolios are your own stories of what you know, why you believe you know it and why others should be of the same opinion. (Pearl and Leon Paulson)

We are all familiar with the word ‘Portfolio’.  It’s the purposeful collection of one’s work that exhibits the efforts, progress and achievements in one or more areas of the curriculum. (source link) or we can define portfolios as the tools that can document all aspects of one’s professional and personal growth as you progress through your career.

With growing technologies, Web 2.0 and the increase in the number of online teachers; portfolios have a new face today: Electronic portfolio, that is the collection of  electronic evidence, evolution of thoughts, competence and reflection on one’s life long learning. It can be considered as a response to the shifts in learning, technology, teaching and the 21st century!

Here are some of the reasons why to have an e-portfolio:

• It shows others  what you have achieved up to now,
  • It makes the link between you and the organizations, what you can do and what they can expect from you,
  • It builds confidence and it’s a proof of what you can achieve,
  • It helps you to remember what you have done and what you will do in the future,
  • It helps you to create and develop new ideas and show the best package of your whole work,
  • It shows your personal and professional achievements in a concrete way,
  • It highlights your skills, shows your experience and demonstrates the result of one’s learning,
  • It supports the ability to collect, organise and reflect,
  • It enhances the technological skills,
  • It’s the best tool for the continuing professional development,
  • Last but not least it helps you to stand out of the crowd and you get the attention that you deserve!!

Here is the video that I’ve created two years ago that tells us why to have an e-portfolio,visually =)

While our students are all creating their portfolios, are we doing the same thing as well; as teachers? Are we documenting our professional and personal growth which is the evidence of our career where we are now, or the way which shows where we will be (want to be) in the future?

Do you have a portfolio that you keep record and the evidence of your educational background, explanations of achievements and your reflections of your profession?

I’m sure each one of us has a story behind our career and when we start creating our digital selves, this should be the first question to answer ‘What’s your story behind it?’

and here comes my story which is narrated by Ozge’s perspective: http://www.ozgekaraoglu.wikispaces.com

4 Responses to “Creating Your Digital Self – What’s your story behind it ? (Part 1)”

1.   shellterrell Says:

Ozge,

I also believe e-portfolios are very important and you have one of the best ones I have seen. I created one for my Masters class through a service called Task Stream but I found that it is a bit boring. Also, in Europe you include a lot of personal information on your CV such as address, marital status, and even race. I feel a little uncomfortable adding this information and wonder if it is really necessary? How do you and your readers feel about this?

2.   Karlana Kulseth aka hawaiianbrat96 Says:

I have developed a portfolio of my growth in my college education for the teacher program Nevada State College. It was a graduation requirement. It was based upon the four domains of Charlotte Danielson’s “Framework for Teaching.” I had to collect and present artifacts that aligned with the four domains from my college courses and my student teaching.

I have to keep artifacts for my development during my teaching career in my school district, so I plan to set it up similar to Danielson’s domains, only based on the domains the district uses. They are quite similar, just my district has one more.

I find that portfolios not only sell you as a teacher, but also just something every teacher should have to show growth. I like seeing where I started with my teaching career back in 2000 when I decided to work towards my degree in education.

I should post my portfolio presentation when I get back home. I don’t think it is on my flash drive.

Great post!

3.   ozge Says:

Shelly,
    I feel the same way as you do about sharing personal information on my e-portfolio. All my colleagues in my school have their e-portfolios and they are not giving any personal information online except their names, where they work and worked.
    I do the same thing on my e-portfolio, you can see my name and surname, where I work now, my age and where I was born and studied if you watch the intro video.
    A month ago, I saw a wiki mentioning about my e-portfolio and warning others not to display personal information as much as I do. I think this changes people to people but still it’s better not to mention a lot of as it’s the deep,deep WEB we are using =)
    Thanks and looking forward to seeing your e-portfolio soon..

4.   ozge Says:

Dear Karlana,
    I completely agree with you when you say ‘Portfolios not only sell you as a teacher, but also just something every teacher should have to show growth.’ Also, portfolios are the best way to see which way we are going or we want to go and it’s nice to keep everything you’ve done on record that you or somebody else won’t lose or tear!! It can stay online and grow as long as you improve yourself.
    I would love to see your portolio as well! I hope you send the link to me when you post it.

Ozge

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. What You Can Learn From My PLN Quiz #6 (ELTAS Tech Tools Day Edition) – Teaching Village